Sunday 2 January 2011

Hello, 2011

So, a year has come and gone, not with a bang but with a whimper. It seems to have passed in a haze of work, more work, pressure and not enough sleep. (Of course, that could be a function of alcohol and declining cerebral function due to age.) I enjoyed writing during the last twelve months, and, looking back, I did actually manage to produce quite a volume of work - several full length first drafts of novels, a few film scripts, multiple short stories.

That's the good news. The bad news is those works now sit on various hard drives and memory sticks leering at me; they issue the taunting cry - 'Go on, scribbler. Edit us - if you dare.'

Well, I dare. I can't resist a challenge like that. Am I a man or a mouse?

Now, where did that cheese go?

Who will win? Me or approx. 3,200 pages of manuscripts? Only time will tell. The pity is, I have at least four projects I want to start this year, but I think they're going to have to sit on a  shelf somewhere in the subconscious becoming mouldy. Or perhaps maturing like fine wines and cheeses.

OK, I've looked back and there's no one creeping up behind me with malicious intent and clutching a sharp object. Now, let's look forward.

There is no light at the end of the tunnel. This is good, because it means there's no one up ahead with a torch bringing me more work. So, ignoring the average four hours every day I spend earning money to pay the bills, and the six hours a day I spend sleeping, and the two hours a day eating, washing, dressing and the like, it means all the rest can be devoted to writing and reading.

So editing it is. Beta readers (yes, you know who you are. Don't hide at the back. There is no escape,) prepare to be deluged with manuscripts over the next few months.

A word on some changes to the format of this blog. I've joined the Amazon affiliate program, so when I review books, if you click on the link you can go straight to Amazon and buy them. Yes, I will receive a commission if you do that, but believe me when I say I will only recommend books I have actually read and enjoyed. If I read a book and dislike it, I'll make that fact clear in the review. I may have lousy taste, but at least I'm consistent.

Finally, may I wish all readers a happy and fulfilling year. I hope you all enjoy yourself as much as I hope to in the next twelve months.

3 comments:

  1. H.E.Y.* Paul

    Would you care for some ham to go with the whine and cheese?

    *(Happy Editing Year)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe!

    Not really a whine, Gwen. More of a plaintive lament. I'm actually quite enjoying the editing so far - I seem to be averaging 5% of a novel each day before I quit and go on to creating something new. Of coure, that 5% is the major overhauls, additions, deletions, rearrangements and rewording. The reading aloud and proofreading (backwards) comes afterwards.

    Then there's the pacing and muttering to myself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes... Plaintive laments I've known and loved.

    I tend towards that myself... the muttering, that is. Pacing would be hard... three steps in anyone direction and I'd be crashing down atop or falling over something.

    Note to self: Need bigger office with more pacing room.

    ReplyDelete