Thursday 16 May 2013

Local arts centres and readings

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away (from  most of you) there is a small town.

In the small town, there is a cinema.

This is where you go to watch films. Duuhh!

It’s also where you go, apparently, to read your works in progress. They have open-mic nights and writers’ workshops.

This Sunday, I’m going to read something of mine to an audience. It might be one, it may be hundreds.  This is a new experience for me. I’m used to public speaking, but I’m not used to reading my stuff. Will it do anything for anyone?

I’m not used to writers’ workshops either, but there is one at the tail end of July. Any use? I don’t know.

I have my doubts about both these events (little sceptic me) but I’ll give them a go.

If I survive maddened throngs, I’ll report back on the experience.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Sunday is coming up fast! Will you read a complete story or an excerpt? I hope you will have an audience. Please let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, didn't get back from a long (looooong) walk in time, so I'll have to wait for the next one, sometime this month. They apparently only want excerpts, say 300-500 words (two pages of prose was the guideline I received, 3 to 5 minutes of reading.)

    So I still don't know what one of these events is like, but I will let you know when I finally get to attend one!

    ReplyDelete